Wednesday, June 25, 2008

NEW RECIPES:

Three recipes for you to test out.
These are two recipes that I got from my Body Ecology Class from the woman who runs the website Healing Movement. Check out her site on my links.

Sauteed Sea Veggies
1 2oz bag of Arame (soak in water for about 20 minutes
1 yellow onion
2 carrots
2 zucchini
1 bunch of kale
2 tbsp coconut oil
1/4 to 1/2 of wheat-free tamari (I used Nama Shoyu unpasteurized soy sauce)
1 tsp chili powder
1 tbsp curry powder
pinch of cayenne pepper
Sea Salt to taste


This is the kind of Arame I use. It's about $5 at Whole Foods or less at a Chinese market if you have one of those in your area.

This is what it looks like when you take it out of the package. Do not be afraid.

Soak arame in filtered water and set aside for 20 minutes.
Again, do not be afraid. The good news is when they are done soaking, feed the water to your plants, you will see a noticeable difference, especially if the plant looks like it is dying...the minerals are great.


Now that your arame is soaking. Saute Onion and Carrots in coconut oil, soy sauce, and spices. Add Zucchini. (BTW the nasty wall behind to food is stained that way and was like that when we moved into our nasty apt...I swear.)

Now go tend to your soaking arame.

Whoa! Yeah, I know, its kind of like magic...now you have plump reed-like veggie noodles.


Add arame and about an inch of filtered water to your pot.

Add Kale in bite-size pieces. (Just tear off the leaves, tossing out the stem and bulky spine that runs in the middle of the kale leaves. Kale gets much smaller after a few minutes of the hear, so don't worry about it being too much for the pot to handle at first.

Turn up the heat and cook until water evaporates. Don't forget to stir often. Add sea salt to taste. You are done!


Now here's the kicker...you, of course, will eat this because you are a beautiful, health-conscious individual with adventurous tastes...husbands, children, and other family or friends might not so willingly comply. Here is what you do: Cook it without them seeing the process (then they will for sure refuse to try)...present them with the final product and say that it is a type of Chinese noodle. They will not know the difference, once it is cooked it has a mild taste and a consistency like a noodle. Since I am not a huge fan of deception...once they have eaten it and love it (which they will) then reveal the truth. :)


PUMPKIN-QUINOA MUFFINS (No wheat, no dairy (unless you count eggs), no sugar) TOTALLY AMAZING. (all ingredients can be found at Whole Foods)

1/2 cup Quinoa Flakes
1/2 cup Quinoa Flour
1 can pumpkin puree (unsweetened)
2 eggs
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2 cup Lakanto (order online) (very $$$ but lasts a long time) or sub 3-5 packets of stevia.

Preheat oven at 400 degrees. Mix together all ingredients. Lightly grease bottom of muffin pan with coconut oil. Bake for 20-25 mins.
*For variation you can add dry unsweetened coconut flakes, flax seeds, or sliced almonds.

One of my Original creations.

Kale-Red pepper Scramble (2 people, smaller portions)
1/2 onion
1/2 red pepper
3 Kale leaves (torn off spine)
3 eggs
1 tbsp ghee
Herbamare and ground pepper to taste

Saute onion and pepper in ghee until onion is soft. Add Kale, saute for 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add 3 eggs and scramble. Season with Herbamare (or Celtic sea salt) and pepper to taste.

Let me know if you like these.
Thanks!

7 comments:

Jody said...

You're so ambitious Hil! One of these days I'll make it to Whole Foods and try some of this stuff.

I really enjoyed the water tips below, such easy things to do, yet very few really do them.

Heather said...

Are you serious!? you are AMAZING! HONESTLY! you are soo great! i love the step by step! did you really do this and take pics! each step!? you are awesome! I LOVE that you did this! thanks soo much!

I LOVE IT ALL! you are seriously awesome! THANKS for sharing! i am soo happy you have found this fun stuff.

McNeil Family said...

Hilary, I look at your blog from time to time and I am convinced you are going to be very rich some day and clearly successful. I love reading your blogs!

Melanie Sharp said...

Tried the Arame and wasn't real successful I have to say. I must have done something terribly wrong since I predicted I'd love it and I had to actually throw it out. I think I need to follow directions more carefully or something! Or I need to cook with less on my mind. I'll have to give it another shot when my attention is more focused :-)

Hilary said...

You have to really rinse it good after soaking or else it keeps a bitter taste. Also, don't over-cook it. Make sure the rest of the veggies are nearly done before you add the arame. My first time making it I added WAY too much water, and that made the left-overs not so great...I must say less is best. Better luck next time. :)

healthmom said...

Hi Hilary,

I just discovered your blog and appreciate your recipes--I'm also a BE fan. I made your muffins last night as a healthy snack for my preschooler and they are real good! Just wondering, as you didn't specify, what size can pumpkin did you use? Also, have you ever tried making it with some healthy fat--Coconut oil, butter, etc.? Thanks again.

Hilary said...

Thanks for your comments healthmom, I use a 15 oz can of unsweetened organic pumpkin. I haven't used any coconut oil or butter b/c I find the pumpkin makes it moist enough. Although, I am sure a little coconut oil would be fabulous.