Friday, June 20, 2008

COCONUT OIL

SO, I had all this great health momentum and then I went to Utah...not that Utah is unhealthy, but it threw a wrench in my groove and its taken me a few days to get back on track...
BUT
Without further ado...

Lets talk about Coconut oil...



I had always thought that coconut oil was just for the skin and hair...but it has amazing health benefits when ingested as well...

FOR THE KITCHEN
I found this excerpt from an article "Health Living"
"Coconut oil is one of the smartest oils you can use in the kitchen today...It is the only oil that can withstand heat without oxidative damage, because of it's medium-chain triglicerides also called MCT's (lauric, caprillic, and capric acids)... These MCT's offer a myriad of health benefits. Lauric acid is the same acid compound found in mother's milk and contains very strong antiviral and antibacterial properties. MCT's are funneled directly to the liver and converted to energy (YAY) much like carbohydrates. THEY ARE NOT STORED AS FAT. Because MCT's are smaller, they permeate cell membranes more easily and METABOLISM INCREASES (YES!) helping you to LOSE weight. Better yet, multiple studies show that populations who consume high levels of coconut oil generally have lower levels of blood cholesterol and heart disease when compared to other cultures."

Great news huh? Whoever heard of an oil that helps you to lose weight?! My recommendation is substitute all cooking oils for coconut oil. You can saute in olive oil or use olive or flax seed oil in your salad dressings but I tell you I cook with Coconut oil now for all my soups, saute veggies or meats, and pop popcorn with the stuff. You can even add a tablespoon to a morning smoothie etc.

Here's one important detail...
YOU NEED TO BY EXTRA VIRGIN UNREFINED OIL...It looks like hard coco butter...but melts instantly with heat. This is the best type for you. I just find the cheapest version at Whole Foods and cook away.


OTHER BENEFITS:

1. Great for damaged hair
2. Great for skin because it is an anti-aging moisturizing wonder. Use it just like lotion. Helps protect your skin from aging effects of oxidation. it penetrates deep into the connective tissue helping to smooth wrinkles, and make the skin strong and supple.
3. Also great make-up remover...

SO...
Coconut oil is a little pricey. Usually ranging from $11-$22, for a 16oz jar...but it will last you a good month with cooking, and hey, we all know how much we spend on freaking moisturizer.

Now go enjoy yourself some Coconut oil. :)

For more info visit these links:
Organic Facts
Marie Claire's article
Cheesy video but very informative.

3 comments:

Cristy said...

My Mother-in-law is into cooking with coconut oil. I always assumed it was fatty because it was solid at room temperature, but I'm happy to know it's healthy! Thanks for the info. I will pass it onto her, I"m sure she'd be happy to know too.

Treat Queen said...

Ok, you are totally starting to win me over. I think it was the hair and skin benefits.

Heather said...

Seriously. this is soo lame, i can't even believe i am going to tell you this.. BUT, i heard helped with weight loss, and, so like 3 or 4 years ago after my kynda or kayla was born, i was still way overweight... and so, i said, HEY cocnut oil, helps you lose weight... NO! i like your explaination better... to replace cooking with it..
what i did, was just LITERALLY ate it plain on a graham cracker... like tried to finish off the whole jar... seriously choking it down because i wanted to lose weight soo bad!

I would assume that didn't help out at all!

haha!

BUT, i like your explainations! thanks for writing this! I LOVE learning about new things!!! i wish we lived in cali or utah or the west... out here. NO HEALTH FOOD STORES... BUT one... 45 min away! NO JOKE! it is seriously lame!
*(there is a dinky one close by. but has NOTHING In it!)

anyways, LOVE this site. thanks for sharing with everyone! LOVE YOU!